Mercury Minimization / Silent Wall Switches

Description: Mercury light switches were manufactured prior to 1991. Mercury light switches are sometimes encountered in older buildings. These devices look like typical wall switches, but they do not make the audible "click" sound when activated. They operate on the principal of liquid mercury in a metal encased glass button that completes the electrical circuit when the switch is lifted up, submerging an electrical contact point. These switches are often referred to as "silent switches."

How to Identify: Mounted on walls near doors and walkways.

Amount of Mercury: About 2 grams

Safe Removal: Remove the whole switch from the wall very carefully as not to release any of the mercury from the switch.

Safe Disposal:

If breakage occurs, immediately contain and clean up the spill.

Either:

Find out whether you must follow any record keeping and other regulatory requirements, depending on the amount of hazardous waste your business generates. Click here for OEPA Pollution Prevention.